Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Outside of the Giant Screen email,

I've got everything in that I've been emailed about up until now. Hit me at jamespeach@gmail.com if you have more, or any corrections. This has been a lot of fun so far. I'd love to get every single IMAX in the U.S. logged in here. It's certainly info that could be used in the branding argument, and we've already learned today that IMAX can't be trusted to represent numbers fairly, as evidenced in these shenanigans.

I've had a couple of friends ask me why this gets under my skin so much, so I'll tell everyone here. I have always ridden pretty hard for IMAX. I've got certain friends and acquaintances spread across the country that I've always insisted go to see films on an IMAX screen. My reasons include sound, seating, and most of all, immersion from sheer size of the screen. Resolution was never part of the argument. Sure, I would love if all Hollywood films were shot to fill the screen, but a Hollywood 35mm movie on the IMAX is still pretty damn enjoyable, and much harder to accidentally pull yourself out of.

I've had a couple of people come back to me and say their local IMAX wasn't all that different, in a tone that suggested I was a bit of a loon it my fanaticism for the IMAX Experience. Now I know why, and it's extremely annoying.

So, supposedly these IMAX digital smaller screens have great resolution and such. That's cool. Not mad at that. However, that's not what I expect when I see "IMAX", and that's not an expectation I built all by my lonesome. The IMAX folks are trying to use that good ol' Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field by claiming that the "IMAX Experience" is still happening in these much smaller auditoriums. I suppose that, technically, that's still the case. Those auditoriums ARE running on tech owned by IMAX, after all. However, if they are going to throw out reasoning and numbers that defy logic, they have to also take other cues from Steve. You don't just sell people different sized iPods with different features, simply label and advertise them all as "iPod", and charge the same price for them. If that happened, iPod would NOT be iPod.

Fix your mistakes, IMAX. It's not that hard. You don't have to slight your new brand in the process, you just have to figure out a way to label your different products that gives props to them both. No, I can't do it for you. I don't get paid to make those decisions. YOU do.

No comments:

Post a Comment